Fall is the perfect time to cleanse your mind and body! If you can manage a few days without processed foods, caffeine and alcohol, mainly eating raw, fresh fruits and vegetables you will feel amazing coming into the holiday season! However, expelling toxins from an overloaded system can temporarily induce headaches, body aches/pains, dizziness and a degree of lassitude in some people. Other however will notice nothing. To alleviate this, drink as much pure water as possible (2 to 5 liters daily), submerge yourself in warm baths, and rest. If you drink a lot of caffeine during the week – say more than 3 cups a day – your ‘detox’ headache will be more likely. To avoid a headache, keep on drinking caffeine but cut right down to one cup in the morning, or switch to decaffeinated. But do ask yourself what all that caffeine is doing to your system the test of the time…
Here are some tips for an easy two day detox plan:
- Upon waking have some alkalizing hot water and lemon (adding some cayenne can give it a nice kick and get your bowels moving)
- Breakfast on as much organic (if you can) fruit as you like: kiwi, apple, papaya, pears, mango, strawberries etc. You can make a nice fruit salad or just stick to one.
- After a mid-morning snack of a apple or banana and, if you wish a cup of herbal tea or pure water, lunch should be a large raw salad, of, for example, dark leafy greens (spinach, arugula, kale, collards), radishes, cucumber, avocado, peppers, sprouts, carrots, parsley, fennel, cilantro, broccoli, cauliflower, tomato ect. Serve with a dressing of simple lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and favorite cold-pressed oil (hemp, olive, avocado).
- At snack time, much on a handful of raw almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, you can have some herbal tea or pure water.
- For dinner, prepare you can either make another huge raw salad or gently steam some vegetables. Choose from a selection of leeks, cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, parsnip, onion, celeriac, eggplant, zucchini, etc. Flavored with fresh herbs, if possible.
- Before bed, eat a handful of raw nuts or seeds if you are hungry or a cup of yogurt with a coconut or almond base, then relax or meditate.
Your whole system will have really benefited from the rest you gave it.